Deep POV: Confessions of a Christian Writer

The ramblings of an emergent-realistic-edgy-working-for-God-and-the-pay-isn’t-that-great-sometimes-confused-christian-fiction writer (uh, that would be me).

Monday, November 01, 2004

The New York Times > Magazine > Questions for Christine Schutt: Prize Fight

I am still trying to decide how I feel about this interview in the New York Times Magazine. A writer named Christian Schutt was nominated for the National Book Award. She is apparently just the opposite of what the NYT thinks she should be: an obscure writer whose nominated book sold little more than a thousand copies. Wow, that is not a lot of books. Even in the CBA, you might sell a few more than a thousand. That she is a single-mother who struggled for twenty years to raise her sons and find time to write and has now done so at the age of 56 cheers me immensely. That her first publisher, Knopf, who published her collection of short stories, wasn't interested in this book, doesn't cheer me. That she only sold a thousand copies is depressing although I imagine that will change thanks to the nomination. And the fact that the NYT is looking down their nose at her? Well, it makes me want to go out an buy her book!

The New York Times > Magazine > Questions for Christine Schutt: Prize Fight