Deep POV: Confessions of a Christian Writer

The ramblings of an emergent-realistic-edgy-working-for-God-and-the-pay-isn’t-that-great-sometimes-confused-christian-fiction writer (uh, that would be me).

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Dialogue Discussions

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Day 7 of Dialogue - Too Little? Too Much?

I've been reading novels that would be considered "literary," at least by some. Like Anne Lamott's Blue Shoe, for instance. And it's certainly true that in a literary work, there's more narrative and less dialogue. Reading Dave's thoughts about dialogue vs. narrative tells me something about Dave's taste in books. Which I find ironic since he works for a CBA publisher and I've spent several years within the CBA writing realm (mostly on-line groups) being told the exact opposite by many of their star performers: SHOW, don't tell! And that means (in their opinion) that dialogue reigns supreme. *sigh* I guess this shows, once again, how subjective art can be.

Personally, I like dialogue in a story because I want to see people interact. Hearing that they interacted after the fact isn't nearly so exciting. However, you can include too much of this, just as you can include too much narrative.