Deep POV: Confessions of a Christian Writer

The ramblings of an emergent-realistic-edgy-working-for-God-and-the-pay-isn’t-that-great-sometimes-confused-christian-fiction writer (uh, that would be me).

Monday, March 21, 2005

Truth and Beauty

Brian McLaren: An interview on Christian publishing and postmodernity

Just recently found this interview with Brian McLaren, author of A New Kind of Christian. I like what he says about modernity's focus on truth sometimes to the detriment of beauty. That resonates with me because in my own spiritual walk, I feel that lack of beauty. Although I grew up Catholic, when I became a Christian my church experiences were in the so-called "low church," a church without stained glass windows, priests in robes, ritual, or liturgy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with such a church and the foundational truths of my life were certainly laid down there, but after twelve years of it, I need something different. I'm not sure what, but I long for something that brings me face-to-face with God's beauty and the beauty of His creation.

I also noted in the interview that post-moderns enjoy story; they'd rather read the message within someone's journey than as part of a three-steps to [fill in the blank] kind of book. Which works wonderfully for me because I feel the same way and I happen to be a novelist!