Deep POV: Confessions of a Christian Writer

The ramblings of an emergent-realistic-edgy-working-for-God-and-the-pay-isn’t-that-great-sometimes-confused-christian-fiction writer (uh, that would be me).

Monday, May 02, 2005

The New York Times > Books > Sunday Book Review > 'Plan B': Born Again, Again

The New York Times > Books > Sunday Book Review > 'Plan B': Born Again, Again:
"Lamott makes almost everyone a little uncomfortable. Her secular friends and fans wish she would talk about Jesus a little less. Conservative Christian readers wish she wouldn't use language culled from bathroom stalls or refer to God as ''he or she.''
I love Anne Lamott. Yes, she makes me crazy too. I cringe at some of the things she says, but I think she's a wonderfully healthy part of my Christian walk and my writer's education. Why? Because I sometimes struggle with her same human struggles, things she's not afraid to mention like how imperfect she is as a mother, how her fears overcome her reason, how she sucks as a writer. Plus, she taught me that my number one reason for writing must be because I love it; I write because it gives me pleasure (and gives God pleasure too!), not because I have to be published. There's great peace in that. And through all of her crises and doubts, she clings to the Lord in such an honest, forthright way she always amazes me. How can she be a Christian? I think after she's made some remark I don't normally hear in my tidy, neat, evangelical world, but then again, what do I know? She's probably not the perfect role model, but then again, who is?