Deep POV: Confessions of a Christian Writer

The ramblings of an emergent-realistic-edgy-working-for-God-and-the-pay-isn’t-that-great-sometimes-confused-christian-fiction writer (uh, that would be me).

Friday, October 07, 2005

Being an Older Female Novelist

Cindarella at Sixty
"Getting things straight is a constant preoccupation for the novelist, making characters consistent, plot logical, blending facts with fiction so the joins don't show. It all takes practice. Duncker knew she wanted to be a writer from the age of 12, but when I grew up I just wanted to write well rather than "be a writer"” and set about educating myself. My first published novel is the third or fourth full-length completed book, she tells. This echoes Quigley's experience: "I'’ve got what I would call a couple of practice novels. Now I know for a fact they weren'’t publishable, though at the time I thought they were fantastic. And Hilary Mantel in Issue 17 advises twentysomethings wanting to write an autobiographical novel to wait until they are at least 40, while Salman Rushdie has suggested no one should attempt to write a novel before the age of 50"
When I was feeling a bit discouraged about an upcoming birthday and my still unpublished status at such an "advanced" age, my crit partner and good friend, Elleann, pointed me to this article in a British magazine called Mslexia. If you're the "wrong" side of forty, it'll be well worth your while.

And check out Elleann's new blog, BlogFish!