Deep POV: Confessions of a Christian Writer

The ramblings of an emergent-realistic-edgy-working-for-God-and-the-pay-isn’t-that-great-sometimes-confused-christian-fiction writer (uh, that would be me).

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Interview with Anne Rice

The Gospel According to Anne - Newsweek Entertainment - MSNBC.com:
"'For the last six months,' she says, 'people have been sending e-mails saying, 'What are you doing next?' And I've told them, 'You may not want what I'm doing next'.' We'll know soon. In two weeks, Anne Rice, the chronicler of vampires, witches and‚-under the pseudonym "A. N. Roquelaure—of soft-core S&M encounters, will publish 'Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt,' a novel about the 7-year-old Jesus, narrated by Christ himself. 'I promised,' she says, 'that from now on I would write only for the Lord.' It's the most startling public turnaround since Bob Dylan's 'Slow Train Coming' announced that he'd been born again."

I just reserved my copy of the book at my local library! Wish I could buy it, but it just isn't possible right now--maybe later, when the finances improve!

Be sure to read the whole interview.

Update: There's apparently a lot of interest in this story. I say that because my stats took a huge jump of about 300% after the story was posted and, for the next few days, everywhere I went, people were discussing it. Unfortunately, on some of the Christian writers' lists I am part of, the discussion has been less than edifying. Some people seem to feel that they can freely judge the sincerity of Ms. Rice's return to her Catholic roots not to mention her right to exercise her imagination. The word "blasphemy" has been used. This reminds me of the saying that Christians shoot their wounded. Wouldn't we want to encourage Ms. Rice in her walk with the Lord just as we'd encourage anyone else? And aren't there a number of scriptures in the New Testament that discourage judging another person?