Deep POV: Confessions of a Christian Writer

The ramblings of an emergent-realistic-edgy-working-for-God-and-the-pay-isn’t-that-great-sometimes-confused-christian-fiction writer (uh, that would be me).

Friday, November 11, 2005

Another Anne Rice Interview

Bluefield Daily Telegraph:
"Rice's new burst of creativity stems from her return to Roman Catholicism - though she seems a most unlikely recruit. Leaving aside those past novels (the more erotic ones appeared under pseudonyms), she quit church as a teen and never looked back for decades. Her late husband was a convinced atheist; her son is a gay activist.

But some critics thought her vampires' angst reflected the author's spiritual restlessness.

As Rice describes matters, there was “a yearning, a nostalgia, a grief” toward Catholicism but “I had this idea lodged in my head, I could never go back ... the longing was tremendous. The desire was tremendous.”

“I gradually realized I could return, that I believed again.”

After years of pondering, the climax occurred in 1998 at her home in New Orleans. Rice asked part-time assistant Amy Troxler, a parochial school religion teacher, to recommend a priest. Troxler immediately took Rice to the Rev. Dennis Hayes of Arabi, La., who became her spiritual director.

The move wasn't easy because “I was tortured by questions I couldn't resolve.” She told Hayes: “I'll do my best on the unresolved questions.” Among these are her church's ban on women priests and opposition to gay sex. She's convinced both will vanish eventually."
Note: I am currently reading Christ the Lord and very much enjoying it.