Deep POV: Confessions of a Christian Writer

The ramblings of an emergent-realistic-edgy-working-for-God-and-the-pay-isn’t-that-great-sometimes-confused-christian-fiction writer (uh, that would be me).

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Every Writers' Dream

LILEKS (James) the bleat
:
"Six radio interviews today, including a nice one with a fellow who had not read the book. Didn't even have a review copy. That one went 25 minutes. He began with "How did you get the idea?" I have honed the answer in such a way that does not accurately reflect the book’s genesis, but is nevertheless accurate. The truth is that I was sitting in my editor's office after lunch in New York, full of an inordinate amount of beef and red wine, brainstorming. Since we were both lightheaded from digestion and indulgence, nothing was occurring to either of us. I excused myself to use the restroom, and en route to the well-appointed lavs of Random House, the idea just dropped into my skull, unbidden: the Gallery of Regrettable Parenting. Huzzah. Booyah. Et cetera. I pitched it when I returned, and that was that."
Wouldn't you love to be in such a position?

And if you're not reading James Lileks very amusing The Bleat every day, you don't know what you're missing.